Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi all. I'm in the thinking about it stage and wondering if I can specify that I want to be a long term provider. I don't want to have kids coming in and out like a revolving door. Is this possible?
Foster parents have very little say in how long a placement stays unless you choose to disrupt. It all depends on the courts and when/if they go back to the bios or if family pops up. Foster parents are just along for the ride.
Advertisements
what mrsmichael33 said. There's no way of knowing. You can specify respite only; that's usually short-term.
millie58
what mrsmichael33 said. There's no way of knowing. You can specify respite only; that's usually short-term.
Bingo. Many can attest here that we've had kids that were ''only supposed to stay a month'' or ''plan on several months to years'', and then the opposite happens.
I've never had a placement stay less than 5mo, but I know of women in my city who are revolving doors! You just never know.
I agree, we were only going to our baby until family could be approved, and now we are adopting. We have had kids that were supposed to be here 6-12 months go to family after a few weeks. You just never know unless you take kids who have been in the system and family has been ruled out, but those kids are usually disrupted for a reason like severe behaviors and such.