Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello all,
I am new to this site, and pretty much the entire idea of fostering/kindship care. Our relative that we really are not close to has two children that are currently in foster care. It does not look like she is going to be getting them back, but I could be wrong. Anyway, no one in the family has stepped up. I contact the child services and gave our information to do background checks and such, with her permission. Then she went behind us and told them she doesn't want us to have them b/c it will take a while b/c it would be an ICPC. So I just walked away, annoyed. Then about a month ago, the caseworker contacted me and asked if we were still interested b/c she isn't doing what she needs to do. We decided to go ahead and start the process. This week they got the order from the court to do our home study. They sent our paperwork to our county. We are interested in becoming foster parents to learn more about the system and how to care for the kids. I have called our county several times, with no call backs. Then, the case worker called me yesterday and said the foster parents are going out of town for christmas and aren't sure if they'll be able to bring the kids with them. So she asked if we would be interested in taking them. She said they would do a quick walk through of our home, to make sure its safe. I guess I don't understand why they cant just let them stay with us, if we are good enough for christmas for a few days. I'm writing on here just for any advice, or suggestions for our situation. Thank you in advance!
Welcome to the crud of navigating ICPC
1st - The kids can visit for up to 30 days prior to the ICPC being completed but federal law does not allow longer than that.
Since the ICPC has been submitted to your state you may want to contact your local ICPC office and verify that (In our case it took 4 months before the sending state even sent the paperwork to receiving state)
[url=http://icpcstatepages.org/]ICPC State Pages[/url]
That website should give you the local contact info.
Ask if they have received the paperwork and if they have assigned a local social worker.
In our case my DH actually went down and spoke to out local Social Services office so they were expecting our paper (we also got a list of home study requirements so we could begin that process, and starting completing the foster care application as most states will require that you get foster care certified at least some what)
Once the local office has the paperwork they should contact you about setting up a homestudy.
Advertisements
All this to say it will take a while.
We completed our homestudy almost 2 months ago and have been approved but the kids still have not been transferred so don't expect a speedy process.
But DO KEEP ON TOP OF THE WORKERS!
Ours took 11 months only because part of that time the current FP's tried to fight us and hired an attorney in the other state, which slowed down the process.
We were licensed within 2 months but didn't get placement til 11 months. Our SW kept stalling and actually asked my husband why he was trying so hard and that "Other relatives don't like jumping through all the hoops we put there!" OMG Made us fight harder LOL
Good luck!
oh my gosh. welcome to the club
icpc can take forever. you got great advice above.
the hardest part is to not care when the BPs think. But the kids are the priority - not the adults
hang in.. and feel free to vent whenever you need