Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I separated many years ago and it recently came about that he had a son; the bio mom (S) had her children taken from her (all 3). Immediately, being the amazing father he is, my husband tried to figure out how we could get his son (R). S had told R that his father died. This poor kid has now been in foster care for over a year in maryland. We live in neighboring Delaware. We had to go through the ICPC process and we have been approved by both states to foster/adopt. He will be moving in with us by the middle of this month. However, maryland will still have custody of him because S's case is still open and the plan is still reunification. She has not completed any part of her treatment plan. How long before the goal is changed from reunification to tpr? What is the process from there? What kind of timeframe do they legally have to keep stretching this out? We have driven 2 hours to And from maryland 5 times a month for over a year. We will have to continue to do so for S and R to have supervised visits. We just want this to end so R can have the life he deserves.
How long has he been in foster care? Are his siblings with him? The timeline varies. After TPR, my adoptions were under a year. But bm gave up her rights. If she starts working her plan, the judge "may" extend case. If she's been given 2 or 3 chances and has done nothing, there's a good chance TPR will happen quickly. Your DH may have to get a lawyer. Since he's the father, the child shouldn't still be in foster care.
Advertisements