Advertisements
Advertisements
I have spent the last few months going over and over the thought of becoming a foster parent. I feel like it is something I am ready to do, as a single woman who has never had children, I know it is going to be a very tough road. Unfortunately my family is not supportive of the idea. I have to admit I am terrified of doing this all on my own. I work, long hours part of the year and while I am home all evening and weekends I am afraid that putting a foster kid in daycare or having a sitter may not be in the best interest of the child. I am torn. I want to help a child thrive, I feel like I can offer a good loving home full of laughter...and animals....to a child who needs it and at the same time I feel like its selfish of me to bring a child into my home and not be able to be the full time parent they might need. I really don't know if this is something I'll be able to do all on my own. Any advice would be appreciated
Hi Laine,
I'm in my 40s and have antagonized over the same issues. After asking myself the same questions for many years, I finally took the evening classes and I'm now in the final stages of becoming licensed. Similar to you, I work full time and would have to enroll any child that I foster in daycare or hire a sitter. When it came down to it, I realized that many biological parents (single or married) work full time and enroll their child in daycare. I I went through some similar opposition with my family and they have come around. It is a tough decision to make and it's smart not to just jump into it. Feel free to reach out to me via email if you'd like to chat further. Good luck!
Cara
Advertisements
I am singled and was a foster parent. Most of them were in daycare. For some it was ok; for others it wasn't ideal. The problem is you don't know how the kids are processing what they've been through. But, my off time was spent with them so they all got love. I will say you'll need a lot of support. Also, more than likely, it would be a sibling group so you'd need to be prepared for more than one.