Advertisements
Advertisements
So my fiancé and I have been talking about foster care and adoption since we first made our relationship official 4 years ago. I am a teacher and he is a foreman at an automotive plant. We weren’t planning on trying to do this for at least another year because of our wedding and moving. One thing that concerns me is that I have a psychiatric history of severe depression and anxiety. I have been on medication for a year now and I have counseling and doctors appointments every three weeks. I have been fully compliant with my doctors ever since diagnosis. I didn’t see anything on the foster parent requirements that they look into that but I am terrified that I would be denied for that reason. Our biggest reason for wanting to foster is that we both come from very rough home lives and although neither of us had been in foster care, we want to help a child the way that we were not. Financially we are stable. Relationship wise we are stable. We even have our own home. Am I over thinking this?
Hi Lyndsay,
When I was going through the process, CPS didn't care about past mental health issues. However, they required that you be free of major symptoms for two years and not have any outward signs of illness (i.e., panic attacks, can't get out of bed, etc.). As long as your depression and anxiety are well managed and don't outwardly affect you, I don't think there would be a problem with you being licensed as a foster parent.
Good luck!
Advertisements
As long as you’re compliant, you should be fine.
So my fiancé and I have been talking about foster care and adoption since we first made our relationship official 4 years ago. I am a teacher and he is a foreman at an automotive plant. We weren’t planning on trying to do this for at least another year because of our wedding and moving. One thing that concerns me is that I have a psychiatric history of severe depression and anxiety. I have been on medication for a year now and I have counseling and doctors appointments every three weeks. I have been fully compliant with my doctors ever since diagnosis. I didn’t see anything on the foster parent requirements that they look into that but I am terrified that I would be denied for that reason. Our biggest reason for wanting to foster is that we both come from very rough home lives and although neither of us had been in foster care, we want to help a child the way that we were not. Financially we are stable. Relationship wise we are stable. We even have our own home. Am I over thinking this?