Advertisements
Advertisements
Originally Posted By Jen
My husband and I have noticed that most of the agencies and support groups we have looked into have a religious orientation. Can you recommend an agency specializing in adoption from China that is comfortable working with a good-hearted, moral couple who happen not to be religious? We are a military family, currently in Arizona.
Originally Posted By Neil
Heartsent, in Orinda, California (www.heartsent.org) is one I know of that does adoptions from China (although my experience with them has been more specifically related to adoption from Russia.) I know that some of the staff/board have themselves adopted from China. I don't know their status in the state of Arizona, but I think they would be worth checking out.
Advertisements
Originally Posted By Jen
Thank you, Neil. I'll check Heartsent out. Thanks for your answer to a question for which I thought I might not get a reply! Wish us luck.
As far as support groups, Families With Children From China, a nonprofit group with chapters all over the U.S. is totally open with regard to religion or absence of religion. It is not an agency or affiliated with an agency; the chapters simply help to educate families about China adoption and support them as they go through the process and when they are home.
As far as agencies, most are secular. Even some faith-based agencies may not have any religious requirements for people who are adopting; their faith primarily affects their commitment to homeless kids.
You can get a fairly complete list of agencies working in China by purchasing the "Report on Intercountry Adoption 2001" from International Concerns for Children, a non-profit support organization. The publication lists things like requirements for families, estimated fees, and so on. You can reach ICC by e-mailing icc@boulder.net or by calling 303-494-8333.