Advertisements
Advertisements
Originally Posted By Marion
Friend of B-parents searching for girl adopted through Catholic Charities in suburban Chicago; born in Arizona in 1963.
Advertisements
9-28-63
Maybe at St. Mary of Nazareth or St. Vincent Hospital (I was picked up at St. Mary's but it doesn't mean I was born there)
Feel free to email directly
Kathleen Shea Kalata
kkalata@jamadots.com
I was born 06-14-63 and also picked up at St. Mary's of Nazareth on or around 9-18-63 through CAtholic Charities.
Mother 29
Father 27 - Cuban
My friend I'm helping was born around jan 12th in a hospital in peoria 1964. Birth mom through guardian angel program. If ringing any bells let me know.
I was adopted in Chicago through Catholic Charities born April 30 1963. Im looking for my birth mother any help would be appreciated.
Advertisements
Illinois is one of the states that doesn't make it easy to get information about birth parents.
[url]http://adoption.about.com/library/legal/searchlaw/blnonid-il.htm[/url]
contains links to Illinois information.
I'd start with the IL Dept Public Health Registry
[url]http://www.idph.state.il.us/vital/iladoptreg.htm[/url]
Fill out the forms. It's free if you give your medical information (no one checks that it's accurate history by the way) They are really looking for genetic related problems... like diabetes etc. that adoptees may want to know.
Anyway, there is a confidential intermediary, but I have not taken advantage of that yet. I thought I might have found my BP, but I'm not sure, and unless they provide the information to the registry, there isn't a way to verify it. Apparently, ** often didn't know the sex of the child. Even the date of birth was "hidden" when mothers were medicated, and courts changed the location of birth and birthdates on birth certificates. This ** I talked to wasn't sure of the sex, but we both think its in the morning of the same day. She thought the baby was smaller than what I was told that I was, and the hospital names are different - although they were both Catholic Charities... and I suspect they changed that on birth certificates too. But my gut tells me I may be right based on the statistics available on the Web. But, there is no way other than DNA or the registry to verify it.
There is supposidly a way to get the adoption certificate number on the birth certificate, then use that and the date of adoption to go to the Law Library and get the names. But, I don't live in Illinois anymore, so I don't have the ability to get to the library. Apparently they don't have this online, and likely won't since Illinois has such a closed system.
There is data at [url]http://naic.acf.hhs.gov/pubs/s_over.cfm[/url] from NAIS -
In 1963 there were 130,000 adoptions
75,000 unrelated
65,000 related
I was told I was in the unrelated group
Of this group, about
35 were independent adoptions
25 were public adoptions
45 were private agency adoptions
I figure I was at Catholic Charities, which is a private agency
Il DCFS would be a public agency
.45 of 75,000 is 33,750
Divide that by the number of days in a year, 356 and you get roughly 95 unrelated adoptions per day in the US that year through private agencies.
There are 50 states, so that's less than 2 per state. Realistically, some states like Illinois and New York would have more and some less.
You should check the adoption forums and Web sites often, as I found out, I found a potential match later through other adoption forums. Some forums and bulletin boards you have to pay to get posted. I wouldn't bother there because they are likely posted elsewhere too.
Good luck!
kkalata
Illinois is one of the states that doesn't make it easy to get information about birth parents.
[url]http://adoption.about.com/library/legal/searchlaw/blnonid-il.htm[/url]
contains links to Illinois information.
I'd start with the IL Dept Public Health Registry
[url]http://www.idph.state.il.us/vital/iladoptreg.htm[/url]
Fill out the forms. It's free if you give your medical information (no one checks that it's accurate history by the way) They are really looking for genetic related problems... like diabetes etc. that adoptees may want to know.
Anyway, there is a confidential intermediary, but I have not taken advantage of that yet. I thought I might have found my BP, but I'm not sure, and unless they provide the information to the registry, there isn't a way to verify it. Apparently, ** often didn't know the sex of the child. Even the date of birth was "hidden" when mothers were medicated, and courts changed the location of birth and birthdates on birth certificates. This ** I talked to wasn't sure of the sex, but we both think its in the morning of the same day. She thought the baby was smaller than what I was told that I was, and the hospital names are different - although they were both Catholic Charities... and I suspect they changed that on birth certificates too. But my gut tells me I may be right based on the statistics available on the Web. But, there is no way other than DNA or the registry to verify it.
There is supposidly a way to get the adoption certificate number on the birth certificate, then use that and the date of adoption to go to the Law Library and get the names. But, I don't live in Illinois anymore, so I don't have the ability to get to the library. Apparently they don't have this online, and likely won't since Illinois has such a closed system.
There is data at [url]http://naic.acf.hhs.gov/pubs/s_over.cfm[/url] from NAIS -
In 1963 there were 130,000 adoptions
75,000 unrelated
65,000 related
I was told I was in the unrelated group
Of this group, about
35 were independent adoptions
25 were public adoptions
45 were private agency adoptions
I figure I was at Catholic Charities, which is a private agency
Il DCFS would be a public agency
.45 of 75,000 is 33,750
Divide that by the number of days in a year, 356 and you get roughly 95 unrelated adoptions per day in the US that year through private agencies.
There are 50 states, so that's less than 2 per state. Realistically, some states like Illinois and New York would have more and some less.
You should check the adoption forums and Web sites often, as I found out, I found a potential match later through other adoption forums. Some forums and bulletin boards you have to pay to get posted. I wouldn't bother there because they are likely posted elsewhere too.
Good luck!
As far as I know the only thing that cannot change is the license number of the physician that delievered you and you can cal the State to fin d out where he is practicing. I did and the only place he practiced was in Cook COunty Hosptal
Advertisements