Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello, I am a single male and wish to adopt a child or children. I would like to know if this is possible?
I am adopted myself and wish to give love to a child like I was given by my parents. I heard you have to be a millionare to be a single parent wishing to adopt, is this true?
I will wait your response. Thankyou for your time.
Originally Posted By Cindy
Since you have Internet access, start searching for all you can find on the adoption process, which is a legal one that varies slightly from state to state, but begins with a homestudy. Join one of the single parent mail lists and "talk" to the large number of other hopeful dads who are eager to form their family through adoption. Call any of the local resources---agencies, facilitators and lawyers---listed in the Yellow Pages of your phone book and talk to them about their policy involving working with potential single dads. While most will say yes, they are willing to work with you, be sure to ask about the REALITY of that statement and ask if they will give you name to one of their single dad clients.
What you're asking is NOT impossible, but it takes time and effort. Foster care is another avenue you might want to investigate through your local, county or state organization. Many children end up being adopted---at little or not cost to the new parents---by the family caring for them.
By the way, I've raised 9 children on a teacher's salary---I'm definitely NOT a millionaire!
Advertisements
If you are willling to adopt an older child, contact DHS. If you want an infant, you best bet would probably be a minority child.(being a single female, I am in the same boat but luckily I want a biracial child). DHS only costs are for your lawyer for final adoption expenses. Otherwise, the least I have found with agencies for a minority child is around $10,000. Still a lot but the cost for a white child is usually double that.
Originally Posted By Kevin
From what i have been told you do not have to be rich to be a single parent. Granted it all varies based on your state, and also what type of children you are lookign to adopt. I am 28 and looking to adopt 2 or 3 boys, ag 8-13, from all over the country. I am located in Nevada, and from the different online sources you can get all types of info not only on children that are available and need a good stable loving home, but also the different requirements in each state. I sugest you check out the adoption photolisting and look at the info there and also they have a large list of state and private facilitators that can help you. If your mother is the foster parent to them, you might want to make it easy and just talk to the childrens social worker and let him/her help you go through the process. The main things that are required is that you must be able to support your new family, and in most states be over 25. If you or anyone else wants to talk, please let me know. I am just starting my process here in nevada and was at first a bit down because I found the kids online I would like to adopt, but it appears there is no way to get them prior to the holidays. If there are soem single dads outthere that woudl liek to chat and have any pointers or suggests please drop me an email.
Later
Kevin
Last update on November 24, 8:19 am by Sachin Gupta.
Originally Posted By Tony
Guys,
I started the process a year ago. In the beginning I approached adopting as an act of altruism over the months I have become a Dad. Im almost mid-forties and a professional.
However, a reality is that men will undergo a different scrutiny than single women. Frankly, I donҒt have a problem with that as long as the scrutiny isnt pathological. The running assumption are the following:
- YouҒre a homosexual
- Youre a pedophile
- YouҒre a pervert
Provided youre none of the above youҒll have go overboard to remove the suspicion. I HATE calling any agency, ultimately I have to tell them IӒm single. Usually thatԒs the kiss of death. And thats it, you move on to the next. If you believe in God, then youҒll have to believe that its not the one.
My recommendation to men (or anyone)
- Realize that due to our status weҒre likely less likely to be granted the child whom weve expressed interest. TheyҒre likely to place you with the less desirable children. I have accepted that. Ideally, children should have both a loving two parent, Mom and Dad family. Where it appears that is not going to happen is when we are considered. It happens that two of the boys I was looking into adopting had really bad experiences with their birth mothers and are apprehensive to obey women. That worked for me, in that Im taking him from a nurturing maternal environment, which is of primary importance to me.
- Read this book... Adopting the Hurt child by, Gregory C. Keck and Regina M. Kupecky. Has to be the best book out there on adopting ғspecial needs or older children. It will quickly sober you up and prepare you for many typical situations.
- If you are going to adopt, be ԓyour kids dadҔ. Make your kid a priority, no live-in , extensive dating
- Adopt a child who is age appropriate. EXPLAINED: Consider child(ren) who you are at least twenty+ years older (from the childs birth) than yourself. Otherwise you may be perceived as an equal and it doesnҒt afford you the vicarious experience to parent. Grant it, easy for me to say, I can safely adopt a twenty year old
- Prepare yourself for being perceived as a weirdo or pervert for adopting and older child, being a man, and being singled. If you think you might be uncomfortable with that pull out now. Its a reality!!! WhatҒs great, and happens a lot are those who say ThatӒs cool!!!
- Be available and involved. DonԒt forget were sort-of Mom too.
It looks like IҒm going to have my son before the end of the year. IM PUMPED!!! I would have never guessed I was capable of feeling this way. I have my concerns because IҒll be taking him from a city and familiar sights to a western rural state where the terrain, culture and people will be akin to moving to Mars. Not to speak of suddenly being handed over to this guys who is calling himself your DadӔ These kids have many times more to deal with than we can imagine
From my sons profile, he has a lot of issues to work out; heҒs not doing well in school and a bit insubordinate. More than likely, your sons will have similar profiles. So guys we have a lot of work to do to get these little guys over the hump
GodҒs blessing and wisdom to us all...
Tony
Advertisements
I'm a single guy who wants to adopt a boy from Korea, but the korean government says you have to be a two parent home. I think that thats unfair. There must be a way to adopt a Korean boy and be single?
Originally Posted By Cindy
Korea has been pretty firm in its policy concerning adoption by singles since the mid-eighties. Every once in a while, I hear of an exception---under very unusual circumstances, and always involving a child with some very "special" needs. I am not even certain if singles in Korea can adopt!
I'm a single guy who wants to adopt a boy from Korea, but the korean government says you have to be a two parent home. I think that thats unfair. There must be a way to adopt a Korean boy and be single?
I am a single male, early thirties, who is in the process of adopting a six year old boy after four difficult and painful years of searching. My experience has been that there is, indeed, discrimination against singles, probably moreso with males for all of the obvious reasons. It seems that every child I expressed an interest in was given to someone else.
It seems that I was always called for the kids no one else wanted. I knew from the onset that I did not want to adopt a child with severe special needs. I did agree to take in one two years ago, and after a rushed placement, it didn't work out. It was a disaster, actually. It was the most painful experience of my life. After deciding to try again, I went with an agency with an extremely thorough placement process, and I realized that I would have to look to different parts of the country to find the right child. I found him in Connecticut. I live in New York. I am visiting with him now and all is going well so far. He may be placed with me by Christmas time. My advice:
Go to adoption photolisting and do the legwork yourself instead of relying on the agencies. If not, you will wait forever and experience a lot of grief. I literally found my own child. Best of luck to all of you single dads and wannabe dads out there. I am so happy to know that I am not alone!
Last update on November 24, 8:20 am by Sachin Gupta.
Advertisements