Advertisements
Advertisements
I recently contacted Bethany Christian Services for more info on my adoption. They told me that they could asign someone to the case to find my birth mom. The down side to this is that it will cost me $250 to do that. Has anyone else done that? If so did it work? What was the out come?
I used the type of agency that you are inquiring about. Please check before you decided to do the search if you will be able to have direct contact after they find the family. THere is usually an agreement that must be signed and the only way that you can have contact is if both parties agree. Check other sources for cost and see if you can find her thru the census, death records, or drivers liscense. IT will depend on the state that the adoption occured in. Each agency may have a different policy. So doing your homework will pay bidg times later on and buy you time to plan and get used to the ideas. I hope this helps you and feel free to email back. I found my birth family in June of 2002 and so far it is ok. Good luck. Anita Schultz
Advertisements
I requested my non-identifying information from the agency that handled my adoption. Since they have access to the original file in their archives it seemed the best place to start. The fee was $100. They had a waiting list but my case was recently opened.
If I decide to search they will search for me - I haven't been told
about an agreement such as the one ladyjane2 mentioned.
Even if you don't use the agency to search getting your non-identifying information may help you search if you decide to do it on your own. I didn't know anything and at least now I know their ages.
I placed my daughter through Bethany Christian Services in Asheville, NC. My daughter was born September 16,1989 and the adoptive family resided at the time in Raleigh, NC.