Advertisements
Advertisements
Question here
Addy fell and skinned her forehead a week ago. The area is about the size of a penny and it took off several layers of skin and looked terrible. Then a scab formed, now the scab is coming off to nice smooth completely white skin.
Can someone tell me how long it will take for her normal pigment to come back and how to prevent a scar??
I wanted to schedule her one year pics and now she looks so beaten up :(
Martha
Get some Mederma from the store. It is pricey, we paid about 12 dollars for a small tube but it works.
You rub it into the scar a few times a day and it helps it go away.
Little D has a scratch across her forehead that was the same way. After about a week, it is about 1/2way back to normal.
Advertisements
good info. Hannah's got a couple tiny white spots from scratching herself with her fingernails. I feel so guilty when I see those little white spots
Joskimo, Mederma is supposed to work on old scars as well so you may want to give it a try as well.
Mederma is a good suggestions.
Everyone is different, but honestly, for DH it can take a LONG time for scars to fade, especially anything bigger than a scratch. They start white then often fade dark.
Mederma should help speed the process along and help prevent really obvious scarring, but everyone is a little different.
Advertisements
I didn't realize anyone could use anything to help this...and I'm glad to read the suggestion of Mederma. The first two kiddos were Asian...and our two youngest now are AA. I know that even for mosquito bites...seems it takes FOREVER for those places to fade away! We live on a farm....and there have been times (with the first two) when the kids' legs looked like they were 'beaten up' with little blobs all over their legs!
Thanks again!
Sincerely,
Linny
Facial scars actually heal faster and better than anywhere else on the body so that's the good news the bad news is that the one thing that causes scars to look really bad is sun exposure while they heal and the face is to one place where you ALWAYS get sun exposure. My dd has a pretty impressive scar on her leg and the plasic surgeon said to keep it out of the sun for at least six months and to put the highest spf sun screen on it for at least a year after. After the Mederma you might want to see if she will wear a hat or just plan to slather on the un screen for the forseeable future.
lisa
Thanks everyone for the excellent advice. I'd hate for her to have a scar in the middle of her forehead!! Lisa - the sunscreen is an excellent idea. I should have thought of that but didn't. The big nasty scab fell off this afternoon and now there is just really tender looking pink skin, I'll put the sunscreen on every morning. Even though it's fall, the sun can still be bright.
Thanks again,
Martha
My dd is biracial (aa/cc), and after my MIL let her put stickers on her upper arms like tattoo's last year they really discoloured the skin on her arms. When they were removed her skin puffed up for a day or two, and turned very dark in the exact shape of the sticker.
She really tanned over the summer (despite all the sunscreen!), which made them disappear but now as her tan fades they are still there.
Anyone have any tips? We're stumped!
Allana
Advertisements
There is a difference between a real scar and something called hyperpigmentation.
In AA skin, when it heals it forms more pigmentation.
A 100% cocoa butter stick rubbed on it can help fade away the hyperpigmentation so that the dark marks are gone.
So can anything with Vitamin E in it, including shea butter.
If the skin develops thick tissue as it heals its a scar, and in some AA people it can form a keloid.
Keloids are an overproduction of scar tissue, its real thick and can produce from the surface of the skin.
Doctors have had success in treating it through steroid injections directly into the keloid. But steroids has it effects on the body that are not so good.
I personally do not develop keloids even though I am AA, but some AA do. Normally very dark skinned people are at higher risk of developing keloids, but in rare cases that is not true.
Bandaids that cause dark marks, could be from an allergic reaction to the bandaide.
Also some AA people develop white marks when they get injured. Its called hypopigmentation, the loss of pigmentation on the skin. A dermatologist can advise you of what to do about the white marks.
Dark skin and scars on face is the big problems for any person because of this a person can loose their confidence ,In my opinion the best products for these problems' <a href="https://nicciskincare.com/products/lemon-whitening-face-wash">lemon face wash for skin</a>.
which whitening skin.