Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi
I am adopting a little girl, 4 yrs old. She is developmentally delayed. Her profile says both/either shaken baby syndrome or attempted drowning. Either way she is a beautiful little girl with lots of potential.
She has really started jabbering since she is here (a month) and screaming! (just like the other kids) she uses a gtube but is able to swallow liquids. she doesnt like it!
She is neurologically blind, but I believe she can see more then we expected.
She does not walk but sits up and crawls. She can stand with support if she is wearing her braces. :clap:
She comprehends on maybe a 6 mo level.
The thing is, she was either in school or in front of the tv at her previous house. She does not know how to play or do anything (other then intentionally tangle
herself in my phone cords) alone.
How do I teach her how to play? what are some good toys to start out with? The only thing I have seen her really enjoy is bouncing on my knees, swinging in an infant swing outside, and wagon rides by big sister. motion seems to stimulate her.
I have 8 other kids in the house every day. I would like to find ways to teach my other kids how to interact with her.
As my sister says, 'There are no initials after my name, BUT'..........
What about having toys that run only when interaction is applied? Toys with lights, noises, vibrations, etc.....but only if you press this button, touch this lid, etc.....I know you've said she doesn't see clearly, so you'd need to have toys with large enough parts to touch/'see' if possible. And, with toys like this, seems that just having the other kids hand them to her, share them with her, would be helpful in learning how to play?
What about those play gyms...NOT the floor mats, but the panels that latch together. (I know this can be pricey....but I often thought they'd have been great for our baby girl....) In this way, she could use her crawling skills, but each panel has a 'project' or interative toy within it to use.
What would school therapists suggest? Oftentimes, they have catalogs for special needs kids for items that might 'fit the bill'.
While I know this is a quandry for you....it's a good question and one others have had to think about too.....
Please keep us updated with what you decide to use....
Sincerely,
Linny
PS...And Congratulations on your upcoming adoption!!!! :)
Advertisements
Our youngest has cortical vision impairment, dyspraxia, and apraxia. She sees the color red and yellow best. Does your daughter have a color preference? If she does toys in that color whenever possible. Also with CVI children are either light lookers or avoiders if she is like my daughter and likes light, toys that light up are great. She loves any toy that makes music, and textured toys are a huge hit. With our little ones issues my husband has rigged a large book shelf with shallow bins that he put cardboard in the back of each bin so that catches the lip of the bookshelf so that when she is in her gait trainer she doesn't get frustrated when she drops the bin and can't get at the toys. He even attached her xylophone to the shelf by putting an old belt through the base and sinchining it around the shelf so she can bang away without it moving on her. She loves this shelf as she knows where her toys are and they are always waiting for her. We have positioned toys throughout the house that are always in the same spot to encourage her movement, but also so she remembers where they are and can find them without help which empowers her.
I strongly suggest to post this in the Special Needs forum and seek out Lylac. She is experienced with this and she is awsome.