Advertisements
Advertisements
Opps meant genealogy in the title.
So I looked at my Kindle for a hot second. I put it down. I really need to get on the ball with our family genealogy research. I stopped as I wanted to ponder on the right way to approach the search so DD does not feel left out, as my boys are bio.
My oldest is asking about his other admixtures.. and is now into Asian Manga stuff. sigh. lol He may look Black and Asian to some, but he is not part Asian or may be a small % from South Eastern Asia..maybe. It may be Native American, or it may be where ever from Africa as the features are not all the same type in the ethnic groups. Who knows. Younger son is just exotic looking (I know the word is not too good one to use) but as he gets older his features are coming together as a wow.. what the heck was in our genes. lol Therefore I know people will start asking him (as opposed to DH or I) what is he.
Anyway.. DD do not want to make her feel left out of the rest of the family as the only adopted kiddo.
It struck me like a duh! we all have African ancestry in common. I think it will ground hopefully the boys in who they are are..and who their family are subscribing to culturally (both sides)
Now what? I am going to trace all of our ancestry and focus on the ethnic tribes however generalized. Not to make it overly focus..but to give a sense of some historic connection. I am also big on incorporating information history then with now.
So on to the present back to Africa via our MtDNA. Now I am reading of the back and forth between the genetic experts in regards to the outcome accuracy by present companies, misleading? sigh..lol
Question:
Will you, and if yes, how are you all approaching you and your child's genealogy history?
Came across this article/site. Breakdown of info that may be beneficial (especially for adoptees.) This is an adoptee so his site has a focus on encouraging and info on DNA/genealogy search.
[URL="http://www.dna-testing-adviser.com/Autosomal-DNA.html"]Compare Autosomal DNA Tests for Genealogy and Adoption Search[/URL]
Advertisements
Keep an eye out for the sale on Family Finder. Once the facebook page reaches 15,000 likes they will have a sale.
What's the difference between a DN test and a DNA kit? I want to do a genealogy search. I'm black Indian with some white thrown in but I want to be more specific.
I checked, seems ftdna went ahead, and regardless of the likes announced an early sale in July.
Sleeplvr
Keep an eye out for the sale on Family Finder. Once the facebook page reaches 15,000 likes they will have a sale.
Advertisements
Millie58, I never heard of DN? DNA is: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_DNA_test]Genealogical DNA test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
Check out this guys site: it has good reference info, scroll down to the ethnic part.
nickchris
Came across this article/site. Breakdown of info that may be beneficial (especially for adoptees.) This is an adoptee so his site has a focus on encouraging and info on DNA/genealogy search.
[URL="http://www.dna-testing-adviser.com/Autosomal-DNA.html"]Compare Autosomal DNA Tests for Genealogy and Adoption Search[/URL]
Just checked into my mtDNA Haplotype (its not found in Africa)really interesting results. Reading on the background, as migration pathways seems to apply to this sequencing more so. I do not have my dads Ydna but looking into matches that can give a clue.
Advertisements
Interest blog entry.. regarding "white slaves" in the US.
[url=http://multiracial.com/site/content/view/460/27/]The Multiracial Activist - - White Slaves[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrQGVqC8TJI&feature=endscreen&NR=1]Judge Hatchett Discovers She Is Nigerian - YouTube[/url]
Finally got my results back... I could not be more shocked! Was so excited, to put DD to bed so that I could pore over the results last night. Not at all what I expected. Of course I expected African and some of the European mix (Russian, French, Orcadian)... But the East Asian sorta floored me... I would have been willing to bet the house that I had some mix of South American based on the comments I've gotten my entire life. Not nary a drop!
Oh well... time to really dig in and get to know what all this stuff means!
Advertisements
So there was no East Asian percentage? East Asian could mean Native American/indigenous/First Nation ... population proxy wise. Let me PM you.
Fe2002
Finally got my results back... I could not be more shocked! Was so excited, to put DD to bed so that I could pore over the results last night. Not at all what I expected. Of course I expected African and some of the European mix (Russian, French, Orcadian)... But the East Asian sorta floored me... I would have been willing to bet the house that I had some mix of South American based on the comments I've gotten my entire life. Not nary a drop!
Oh well... time to really dig in and get to know what all this stuff means!
Fe2002
Isn't it a shock to find something you were not expecting? My test results were a shock too. What test did you do? I think I'm going to revisit testing again because DD is getting a lot of questions again... She's been Hawaiian & Dominican so far this summer. She's always the only black and Asian child anywhere she goes so people just can't figure it out and I need her really secure with her background.