Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Hello All,
I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are laws against people making false claims of being birth-family and, if so, how one might go about reporting it.
I had the fortune (at least I think it's the "fortune," time may tell ;) ) to be located by my half-sister on one side of my birth-family in the middle of April. Upon meeting her everything about my past blew WIDE open and I knew everyone's names on both sides in a few hours.
Ironically, two weeks later I was contacted by a man who claimed he was a half-brother on my mother's side. I was leery of him from the start since I now know all of my birth-family and he wasn't one of them. I asked him all the questions I've taught myself to ask (my test has always been, "tell me something I didn't put on the internet"). He later asked, "What's with all the Qs." Surely someone legit would understand THAT of all things!
While I was waiting for a response I researched "his" email address. It struck me odd that it had 'snowwhite' in it, and interestingly it was registered to someone with a different name than what this person was going by. [insert HUGE red flag here!]
Are there any laws against someone like this? I can only assume that the concept of the scam is to take advantage of adoptees desperate to find birth-family and later ask for money. (Otherwise, what's the point?)
As a service to those here I want to share the original message:
[INDENT]snow white snowhite112*hotmail.com
Hello,
My name is John Holt,I am trying to locate my adopted sister, she was born *** **,19**,
I have been searching since I learned about her and I am desperately looking for her. Please if you think you a possible match,I will like hear back from you.
bb torch madrid[/INDENT]
TYIA,
Bethany