The Brittany's Hope Foundation was founded in January 2000 by Candace Abel as a 501(c)3 certified adoption grant provider based in the United States. Brittany's Hope specializes in providing both adoption grants and fundraisers, specifically for adoptions involving international adoptions of special needs children. Other types of adoptions are not typically approved by Brittany's Hope, as international special needs children are their target for financial assistance.
Brittany's Hope is named after Brittany Ann O'Connell, an adopted daughter of Candace Abel. O'Connell died in 1999 in a car accident. She had been preparing to become a social worker, and according to Abel, "[dreamed] of a world where all children know the peace and love only a family can provide."
Brittany's Hope has relatively specific requirements for its target group of adoptions compared to other adoption grant organizations. These fall largely into two categories: approval eligibility and application requirements.
In order to be eligible to be approved for a grant from Brittany's Hope's Seedling Gift Program, there are three main qualifications:
- Applicants must be adopting through one of Brittany's Hope's affiliate adoption agencies. These include the following organizations:
- Applicants must be considering adopting a child with special needs.
- Applicants must be in the process of an international adoption.
There are four requirements for any Brittany's Hope adoption grant. These are as follows:
- Brittany's Hope deals specifically in matching grants, meaning that the adoptive parents are responsible for fundraising half of the grant money, which will then be matched by Brittany's Hope.
- Photos of the adopting family must be submitted both before and after the adoption takes place, the later photo including the adopted child.
- Adoptive parents must fill out the Brittany's Hope Family Profile, which is intended to give Brittany's Hope an idea of who the family they're working with is.
- After the adoption is complete, Brittany's Hope requests a thank-you letter from parents detailing how their matching grant helped them in the adoption process.
Brittany's Hope Foundation
1160 North Market Street
Elizabethtown, PA 17022