First time adoptive parents may not know exactly what to expect. These four adoptive parents share some key advice including:
- Expect a lot of emotion. Know that there will be ups and downs
- Realize your adoption journey will be unique. Release specific expectations and “go with the flow.”
- Focus on the positive things going on in your life as well as the positive aspects of your own adoption journey. Don’t expect it to be easy, but find the joy within your experience.
- Enjoy the growth that takes place within you and within your family unit.
- Understand what you’re asking of the birth parents. Be grateful. Learn who they are.
No two adoptions are alike, but all adoptions can result in a joyful, happy family.