The White House announced last Dec 8 that it is working to provide better support for foster youth. The administration is focusing on seven steps:
- Ensuring access to healthy meals
- Protecting the welfare of native youth
- Building financial security
- Keeping youth in their homes and out of the justice system
- Creating clear pathways to employment
- Supporting educational success
- Developing public service & private investment opportunities
23,000 of the over 400,000 children in the foster care system age out each year, according to CNN. The government recognizes the risks associated with this high percentage of youth who never get their forever families and have to hit adulthood without proper preparation.
More specific information about these seven points of focus are available at the White House Press site.